NRA Home Firearm Safety Course
This is a non-shooting course which teaches students the basic knowledge, skills and attitude necessary for the safe handling and storage of firearms and ammunition in the home.
This four hour course is conducted in the classroom with no range time required and is designed to teach the student safe gun handling. Students are taught the following:
- NRA’s three basic rules for safe gun handling
- Primary causes of firearms accidents
- The different parts of a firearm
- How to unload different types of firearms
- Ammunition types and their components
- How to clean, care for and safely store firearms
- The benefits of becoming an active participant in the shooting sports
Students will receive the NRA Home Firearm Safety handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, Basic Firearm Training Program brochure and a course completion certificate. (Lesson Plan 6-90, reprint 12-08).