Course Title: Defensive Shotgun 101
Course Prefix: DS1
Defensive Shotgun 101
If a shotgun is your choice in home defense, you’re in good company. Being such a potent firearm, it’s critical to know how it performs, what power it can deliver, and how to deliver it effectively.
In this class students will be introduced to defensive stance, handling, and proper manipulation techniques for the different common shotgun types. Student will also learn about the wide variety of ammunition and the latest choke tube technologies that have evolved over the last ten years. It’s not your daddy’s scatter gun anymore. With the advent of new ammunition developments combined with choke tube improvements shooters need to be educated regarding pellet spread and patterning.
In addition, we will help to dispel what we call the “Deadly Shotgun Myths”.
• “You don’t have to aim it. Just point the thing down the hallway.”
• “All you have to do is rack it, and the intruder will run away.”
• “Shotguns are less dangerous to neighbors and co-inhabitants because the pellets will not go through the walls.”
This class is a combination of classroom and live fire exercises. It is our sincere hope that you will leave this class with sound basic techniques and a greater appreciation for how versatile the shotgun can be and how to best tailor it for your personal home defense solution.
• Safety as it relates to self-defense with a shotgun
• Types of shotgun shells and their effectiveness
• Use of sights, and manipulation of the trigger
• Grip and stance
• Presentation techniques
• Shooting under stress
• 5 rounds rifled slugs
• 5 rounds buckshot
• 25 rounds birdshot
• A shotgun chambered in 12ga or 20ga (semi-auto or pump action) No pistol grips without stock capable of reaching the shoulder.
• Eye and ear protection
Registration and prepayment is required. If you prefer to register in person, please visit the store and see a sales associate.
PBR Certified Instructor